From: "Murray Charters" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2000 8:15 PM
Subject: Re: Non-PD: shareware

On 12 Aug 2000, at 13:48, joan carol urquhart wrote:

> I've just discovered an amazing search engine
> that searches all other search engines called Copernic 2000.
> It's shareware (can be downloaded off the Net in about 5 minutes for
> free).
> http://www.copernic.com
>
> After downloading it, out of curiosity, I input my own name as a search
> category.
> To my surprise, amoung the returned hits were some posts I'd made to the
> pd list
> (and to other lists I belong to ).
> I thought list discussions were more privately contained
> but when we speak on a list, everything we say becomes public domain.
> On a lighter note, this search engine is a very fast way to search
> family histories,
> if anyone is interested.
>
> Murray C, if you are out there,
> what is your impression of this search engine,
> as far as search engines go?
>
> Joan U
> (with no affiliation whatsoever to Copernic software)

Hi Joan,
Thank you for sharing your discovery with all of us. I've tried it. My
impression?

The free version of Copernic 2000 has too much *baggage*, in my opinion,
in the form of mandatory registration, attempts to upgrade every time you
start it, advertising, categorizing etc. I abandoned it right away and went
back
to WebFerret....

I much prefer the equally free downloadable WebFerret. It offers less
customization,
but it is fast and gives you a mini-abstract on a *mouse-over* and doesn't
bug me.
It has an advertisement too, but somehow it is much easier to ignore.

Ads ARE the price of *FREE* of course.

Now, what is WebFerret? WebFerret is a free downloadable web search utility.
It is very easy to use and once you try it you'll wonder how you ever did
without it.
http://www.ferretsoft.com/
http://www.ferretsoft.com/netferret/download.htm (scroll down for the free
stuff)
http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,000AFV,.html

Both of these software packages are for PC's and Win 95 or better.  Does
anyone
know of something similar for our MAC bud's?

Just my opinion .................... murray

(with no affiliation whatsoever to WebFerret software or to ZdNet)

PS: WebFerret loads in 4 sec. on my 486 (more than 4 x quicker than
Copernic2000...)