Darwin, you are correct, and I certainly did not mean to get people upset.
If even the worst tires are not abused, they will probably not fail. Years
ago I had a car with re- grooved tires (used car dealers routinely cut the
tread deeper on bald, worn out tires to avoid replacing them.) I drove at
high speeds and was lucky, and never even realized how unsafe they were until
I had a flat and got them replaced. On the other hand many people will drive
an SUV at high speeds and put extra stress on an already compromised tire.
SUVs have a high center of gravity, so they can flip over easier than a lower
vehicle, and they are often driven over rough terrain. All these factors
together make it important not to drive on tires with known defects. Fifty
accident deaths seem like a small number, unless one of them is a relative or
friend!
So if I had a recalled tire on my vehicle I would not  wait several months
for an adjustment, I would probably get them replaced and  just hold them
until I could get credit.  If Firestone cannot make tires fast enough to
replace the defective ones, they should offer refunds or another brand......
I am sorry if I caused anyone to panic!
Ken B