"http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/ubb/Forum71/HTML/002000.html"

posted August 15, 2000 03:39 AM

I missed this whole thread the first time. Thanks Hink for bringing this
discussion back to the top. And thank you to Janet especially for for
articulating the pain of clinical depression while also demonstrating
that there can be light at the end of that tunnel.

I recently spent some time with a friend I hadn't seen in awhile. It
didn't take long to see that the changes in her energy, activity level
and weight might be classic effects with the cause being cd. She clearly
was ready for any help from any quarter.

All I could offer was the idea that maybe this state of mind that had her
mired in exhaustion and negativity could be eased by an adjustment in her
brain chemistry. No shame , no weakness; just the possibility of better
living through chemistry. After all, I probably couldn't walk without
without a handful of pills four times a day. Ya' do what ya' gotta do.

[This message has been edited by maryan (edited August 15, 2000).]

posted August 15, 2000 03:51 AM

you shouldnt hold it against her, you should not rant or rave.. I say this
in love.. paige was a nice girl, even her best friend stephanie was shocked
you know life is verrrryyyyyy fragile.. if you vent it is because you looked
at her as a super woman?

I loved Paige, I spoke to her on the phone..she had vitality, beauty... but
she lost hope.. she was scared.. pretend she was your child? bless her
memory..
she wanted to be a butterfly.. and when I see butterflies now.. all I can
think is..
paige
rest in god's peace ..

------------------
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even
touched.
They must be felt with the heart.
--Helen Keller

[This message has been edited by lavenderlou (edited August 15, 2000).]

posted August 15, 2000 05:44 AM

Originally posted by lavenderlou:
>you know life is verrrryyyyyy fragile..
>but she lost hope..
>she was scared..

i hope that this is not the message
that we finally keep with us as the
lesson we learn from paige's death.

from my point of view,
her death isn't even my biggest concern,
she is out of our care now;
but her pain prior to her death
dismays me because it was needless
and was allowed to ferment due
to toxic shame about admitting
to any form of 'mental illness'

this is a societal problem, imho,
NOT an indicator that we are in danger
moment by moment of doing ourselves in
for no apparent reason.

we as healthy human individuals are stronger
than that - we can see proof of that strength around us everyday.

our spirit our consciousness
our emotions our thoughts
are all tied up together in a brain chemistry soup
the recipe needs adjusting from time to time
much like a maserati needs fine-tuning to operate at peak performance.

no shame no blame.

that's a goal worth fighting for, imho.
and a lesson that i'm sure paige would smile about.

janet

These forums are owned and maintained by the
Department of Neurology at Massachusetts General Hospital
Webspinner - John Lester

janet paterson
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
tel: 613 256 8340 url: "http://www.geocities.com/janet313/"
email: [log in to unmask] smail: POBox 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada