Archbishop Tutu, Ill With Cancer, Returns to South Africa

CAPE TOWN, Aug. 17 -- Archbishop Desmond Tutu, one of the sharpest critics
of South Africa's former apartheid system, returned to his homeland today
"to sleep," looking thin and frail after two years of cancer treatment in
the United States.

"I want to come home to sleep," the archbishop told reporters as he stepped
gingerly off a flight from Atlanta, where he had been teaching and writing
while being treated for prostate cancer.

Characteristically, the man affectionately known to South Africans as "the
Arch" did not appear quite ready to withdraw from public life as he spoke
about the subjects close to his heart -- reconciliation and helping South
Africa's poor.

"We are all participants in the process of reconciliation," He told
reporters. "We must celebrate our diversity. It is a dream. It is a vision.
It is an ideal to strive after."

The 68-year-old archbishop, who for nearly two decades was a voice of
conscience for many South Africans, admitted that his ill health had played
a part in his decision to bow out of public life.

"As you can see," he said, "I am a great deal more decrepit than I was two
years ago."

He said his recovery from surgery last November had been far slower than
expected.

"We have a cadre of outstanding new leaders," he said. "We oldies should
give them space to show off their wares. I have had the privilege of making
a small contribution. It is now time to move off center stage and watch
from the wings."

"The Arch is going lala," he added, using his nickname and an indigenous
word for sleep.

Archbishop Tutu, who was awarded the 1984 Nobel Peace Prize, was greeted
warmly by a few friends and a local municipal official, but not by any
representative of the government or of the Anglican Church, in which he
retains the rank of archbishop emeritus.

Wearing a black suit with a purple shirt and a silver cross, he urged South
Africans to be positive about their country, saying it remains a beacon of
hope for other countries.

"We in South Africa should be celebrating our achievements, not moaning and
complaining," he said. "Can you tell me one country in the world that does
not have problems?"

He called on other countries, particularly the United States, to set up a
fund for southern Africa similar in principle to the Marshall Plan, which
poured money into the reconstruction of Europe after World War II.

A small, white-haired figure with a puckish sense of humor, Archbishop Tutu
has often used his sharp wit to make serious points.

On the eve of his retirement in 1996 he took on the task of running the
Truth and Reconciliation Commission, digging into the often shocking acts
committed by all sides under apartheid.

"When I was in the United States I was getting 120 invitations a month for
speaking engagements," he said. "People wanted to hear, 'How did you do
what you did in South Africa?' "

"Everywhere the interest in the truth commission process was quite
phenomenal," he added. "The world says, 'We derive hope for our own
situation from what you in South Africa have done.' "

Archbishop Tutu, who coined the term "rainbow nation" to describe the South
Africa emerging into democracy, called for robust debate among all races
about the future but said it must not be allowed to descend into
accusations of racism.

By REUTERS
Copyright 2000 The New York Times Company
"http://www.nytimes.com/library/world/africa/081800tutu-health.html"

janet paterson
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
tel: 613 256 8340 url: "http://www.geocities.com/janet313/"
email: [log in to unmask] smail: POBox 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada