> Saturday Night Live just achieved a new low in my esetimation.  Okay so make
> fun of the  yankees - that  is permissable, and could be funny.
> But dont make fun of lew garrick because of his disease!!!
> That is beyond the pale!!
> Hilary

Lou Gehrig: The Iron Horse
New York Yankee first baseman Wally Pipp, a 15-year veteran who twice won the American
League home run title,
gave way one June day in 1925 to a rookie named Lou Gehrig. It
seemed an innocent enough replacement. But Gehrig,
in perhaps the most legendary
example of making the most of one's opportunity,   proceeded not to miss a game
for the next
13 years.

Gehrig soon become one of the greatest players and feared hitters baseball had ever seen. He
was part of
the "Murderers Row" lineup the Yankees sported in the 1920s and 30s, and
Gehrig, who had set college baseball records nearby at Columbia University, was such a
competent hitter and home run threat that he batted behind
Babe Ruth.

Gehrig hit .340 lifetime, and he was third all-time in slugging   percentage and runs batted in.
But Lou is
remembered today at least as much for his quiet dignity as his skill. It is not
surprising, for instance,
that many baseball fans don't know that Gehrig hit two home runs,
including the game-winner, in the 1932
World Series game against the Chicago Cubs in which
the more flamboyant Ruth "called"
one of his own two home runs.

Gehrig is noted more still for his durability. The "Iron Horse" did not miss a single game until the
mid-spring
of 1939.

The last game of Gehrig's playing streak turned out, sadly, to be the last game of his career.
Despite not
having their star first baseman in the lineup for the first time in 2,130 consecutive
games, the Yankee
juggernaut went out and crushed the Detroit Tigers, 22-2, on May 2, 1939,
and Gehrig's replacement, Babe
Dahlgren, hit a home run.

Gehrig had been hitting just .143 in limited action that season. At the time, he was suffering
from
amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, the disease that would soon kill him (and later bear his
name).

Later that year, the #4 worn by Gehrig became the first number in the major leagues ever retired
when the
Yankees accorded him the honor. On July 4, during Lou Gehrig Day at Yankee
Stadium, the great first baseman
gave his farewell speech and uttered one of the most famous
lines in sports history: "Today, I consider
myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth."

The Iron Horse died in 1941, two weeks short of his 38th birthday.

http://www.letsfindout.com/subjects/sports/gehrig.html

Lou Gehrig - ALS
Doctor's Guide to the Internet
ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease)
The latest medical news and information for patients or friends/parents of patients diagnosed
with ALS.
http://www.pslgroup.com/ALS.HTM

We try to make a difference.