Hi,

I came across a paragraph of information about Sinemet that has really
confused me (of course it doesn't take much to confuse me :-)  Can
anyone help me understand what the paragraph means about bioavailability
and Cmax in plain English, or comment on whether there might be a
typographical error in the paragraph?  The paragraph is part of a
document about Sinemet on the "Clinical Pharmacology 2000" website:
http://cp.gsm.com.

One example of what is confusing me:  It seems to say that food
**increases** the bioavailability and Cmax of levodopa in the Sinemet CR
tablet. [But then it says that food may decrease the absorption of
levodopa.]  Maybe I'm getting confused by terminology?  Here is the
paragraph:

BEGIN QUOTE  Pharmacokinetics:  ...it is thought that high
concentrations of amino acids in the GI tract (i.e., a high-protein
diet) can interfere with absorption of levodopa.  There is evidence,
however, to suggest that amino acid-transport competition is more likely
to occur during levodopa transport across the blood-brain barrier.
[Snip...]  The bioavailability and Cmax of levodopa after a single dose
of a carbidopa 50 mg/levodopa 200 mg extended-release tablet increased
by 50% and 25%, respectively, when administered with food.  Any food
(i.e., high fat or high protein) or drug that delays gastric emptying
may decrease the absorption of levodopa.... END QUOTE

Thanks for any hints about what this is about!

Best,
Lynne
  for Virginia 80/17