     The Indiana University Memorial Union Building is a huge
sprawling limestone building right in the center of the beautiful
campus.    It is the largest building of its kind in the world.

     I was at a meeting there and had some time to stroll around
and look at the many paintings, sculptures, and displays.

     In the center of one of the lobby areas there are several large
supporting pillars.    On one of the pillars is a framed piece of
paper (about 8" x 11") with some writing on it.

     "Must be something pretty important to be put up here,"  I thought.

     A little note said that Marshall Foch on a visit to Indiana University
had written this message out for Dr. William Lowe Bryan, the
president of I.U.

     The message is in French.    The penmanship is poor.   I copied
the message in all caps.    Sorry, my wife speaks and writes and
reads French very well; I lived in France for several months and did
not pick up half a dozen phrases.

    MA  GAUCHE  PLIE,  MA  DROITE  RECULE,  ? ? ?  CONSIQUENCE

J'ORDONNE  UNE  OFFENCE  ? ? ? ?  GENERALE,  ATTAQUE

DECICISVE  PAR  LE  CENTRE.         J.  FOCH     4-11-21

     Translation----

     My left is giving way, my right is falling back; consequently I am

ordering a general offensive, a decisive attack by the center.  F. Foch

-----Message sent by Marshall Ferdinal Foch at the First Battle of
the Marne, September 1914.

     History buffs and military-oriented people understand the principle
(rule) behind this thinking.

     Here's how this thinking applies to me and Sugarlump (PWP)

     MY KNEES ARE SORE AND WEAK AND THE ARTHRITIS IN

THE NECK AND SHOULDERS IS MAKING MOVEMENT DIFFICULT;

MY WIFE'S PARKINSONS DISEASE MAKES HER SLOW AND

UNSTEADY AND FATIGUED.       CONSEQUENTLY,  WE ARE

TAKING OFF ON WEDNESDAY MORNING FOR THE TRAIN TRIP

THROUGH THE CANADIAN ROCKIES.           ---Pat & Anita

     We are going to sit in a soft recliner and drink flavored coffee
while gazing out the big train windows at the mountain peaks, the
waterfalls, the lakes, the streams rushing through the green valleys,
and the rocky outcroppings.

     We've both worked our buns off since we were teenagers, paid
all our taxes, raised our kids, contributed generously to our church
and charities, and helped a lot of other relatives and some strangers.

     Now we are going to smell some roses.

     And we want other people to do the same thing.

     See all you good people in September.    I love hearing from you
(especially in the wee morning hours when I "wake up at the crack
of my neck bones").