Everyone, including all who share on this list, are teachers.

 I heard a
wise man describe the only problem in life, and to him it was the feeling
of conscious separation; separation from self, God and others.
Consequently, the solution is clear, and that is conscious contact or
unity with God, self and others.

Most of my life has been spent comparing myself with others, and it was
amazing how often my beliefs and judgments were justified and how often
yours were not.  No amount of being right, however, brought me closer to
feeling connected with God, self and others.  In fact, the opposite was
true, and I was not a happy person.

I was angry and resentful much of the time, and didn't know until much
later that this state of mind was not happiness.

Twenty years ago I was asked to name 5 things I liked about myself by a
group therapist.  I puzzled, thought, and finally asked if I could have
overnight to think about it.   By the next morning's session I still
could not come up with one thing.  Odd that it didn't occur to me to list
the fact that I was right about everything at all times.  There was a
clue in there somewhere.

Today I am a happy person, albeit one with PD, because I began seeing
others as my teachers, some as to what to do, others as to what not to
do.  Today I am loving, kind, loyal, helpful and responsible (I might
think of more than five, but you get the point).

What you have taught me is that as long as I focus my mental efforts on
unconditional acceptance (which I believe to be an attribute of Love),
and work at letting go of expectations (or at least realizing mine are
not superior to yours), at those times I feel I am a valuable and valued
part of the whole that Is, a wondrous sense of being connected to God,
you and myself.

Today I don't know if I am ever right, since I don't have a clue about
the greater scheme of things, so I just assume three attitudes.  First, I
assume each of us is doing our best at any given moment, with the tools
at our disposal.  Second, I believe that in everything you and I do and
say, we are either giving love or asking for it.  Finally, I assume
nothing happens in God's world by mistake, that all things have a
purpose.

When I do get judgmental, the default question I ask myself is do I want
to be happy or do I want to be right, because for me the two states of
mind cannot coexist.  (Sometimes, Heaven help me, I hang on to right
until the pain gets boring.)

So thanks to all who contribute.  This may be selfish, but the more
spirited the exchange, the more I learn.

Love
Chuck