><snip>
>   I know that there are newspapers on the Internet, but my AOL is
>long distance every time I go online, and the local ISP won't take me to the
>Internet, so I can't take the time to read papers.  (we just got our phone
>bill !!).  Could something be wrong with my modem? Does anyone know what my
>problem could be ?  I'd like to sign on with a local ISP (which I have done,
>& it connects but won't go anywhere) & get to AOL thru it.  Is this possible?
Nancy,
I belive that AOL is very proprietary, but if your local ISP doesn't go to the
Internet, you won't be able to Telnet  into AOL anyway. I find it hard to
believe that any ISP would be without Internet access however.

I have two ISP's but I also have two separate telephone lines for them and
that works out much better for me at least.

just me,
Marjorie