last week, a restaraunt owner in my little village of Rome, Il.used a
gun to protect himself in what he thought was an attempt on his life and
his property. There were 2 boys in his restaurant at 4 am trying to rob
the place.He surprised them in the dark, and thought that one was going
to harm him. The boys had been busy breaking into
at least a dozen cars parked up & down the street before they decieded
to try their luck at the restaurant. What happened in the dark of that
early morning dawn is the unthinkable-the 15 year old boy who lives
right across the street from us was shot thru the heart and was declared
dead on the scene. The bullet traveled thru his body and and lodged in
the chest of his friend who is stable at the hospital and facing felony
charges. My kids rode the same school bus as the kid who died, and the
other kid is the one who found our collie, Lassie, on the 4th of July
when she ran away from home because of the noise of the fireworks. I am
not condoning the actions of the boys-if you're gonna do the crime-ya
gotta be prepared to live (or die) with the consequences. I am  not
condoning the actions of the business owner but I wonder if faced with
the same set of circumstances, my husband may or may not have reacted
with the same deadly force. It remains a tragic situation for
everyone...much the same as this bitter blood-letting on the list. We're
all in a lose-lose-lose situation and I can see no way out anymore than
I can figure out what happened in my little town.

--
Joan E. Snyder      48/10