hi
So none can say caregivers don't know what it is like:) I will tell u
what it is like for a YOUNG person with more than just PD. Boy I am sure
that will be blasted:) No contests please. I have been in acute rehab in
a hospital, sub acute in a rehab setting that was affiliated with a
hospital, and a nursing home- not assisted living. A real live nursing
home. It is not my goal in life to be in one, however at those times it
was necessary. It wasn't punishment. Oh yes I was upset and scared. I
couldn't see my son, he was a little fella at the time.

It was an emergency and I strongly urge noone to wait for an emergency
to happen.  Discuss a back up plan so all can talk about it and take
time to accept that it MAY or MAY NOT happen. It is too much pressure to
put the care on one family member and one aide.  No matter how easy a
case the patient is, emotionally it is draining as we all know.  I got
in contact with the Senior center in my community and luckily they are
letting disabled who have no means of transportation to come to the
center. My husband about died and was sadden that I did this, however,
it saddens me to take him away from his research and special time with
our son. I am tired of waiting for the younger folk to join me, so did
it via the phone myself.  It isn't a daycare by any means, but they have
resources that I can use.  Never know I am sure there are others like me
out where I live. I guess I had to be the first to call and visit the
'Senior Center'. It will not cure my illnesses, but it is nice to be
able to not have to worrying how I will get to the doctors appointment,
since I can't drive. Or actually socialize with a human!

I am not promoting nursing homes. Anyone who knows me, knows that I hate
them myself. I am human.  I love my environment, son , husband and  the
little village that we live in. Therefore, I looked at some places out
in the country, draw back is not near the docs that I am accustomed too.
There is one right by where my husband works and that the professors go
to if they need care.

By the time u go into one , you don't have to worry about money:) Screw
the money, unless u have a couple million, skip the concern. Nursing
home- about 225-250 a day, plus 45 a month for laudnry (no ironing),
hair 15 bucks a pop, newspaper extra, extra outing extra, transportation
plus aide- about 2. a mile for van trip  14.-16. dollars an hour for HHA
(not a nurse), phone 25. a month plus 50. to install if a line is
already there in the room.

They have tons of singing activities, painting, movies. They lack
reading material- large print, games, visitors/the more expensive
crafts- i.e. rubber stamping cards, stencils- rub on kind, materials for
wearable art, wooden kits.

They long for visitors. People don't like going to N.Homes thus they
don't get too many visitors.

Once again I hate the thght. of ever going into a nursing home.  Not
planning on going to one . Heck I am normal in that respect:)loll

Enjoy ur life, no matter how little or how much u can do.

Maybe a typed out time increment schedule of care would help the aide
and u??That is what the caregivers suggested to me.  When the HHA comes
back to work regularly:) I will go over it with her.

What I think is common sense may not be for the aide. for example , I
have my towels and clothes washed separately in cold water. Every HHA
has questioned if the towels get clean in cold water. I use them once,
an d got tired of the HHA not switching from warm /hot to the cold water
and ruining my clothes. SOOOO the towels have to go in cold water. If
they chose to wash them in warm water - God bless them:) but they better
make sure they switch the water temp back to cold so they don't shrink
or run the colors of my clothes.  Another common sense example, the lint
filter in the dryer , wouldn't get emptied so now my clothes get hung to
dry and have to be lightly ironed:) I don't want a fire. Also, dark
colors were put into the dryer that had the towels that were 'ALMOST'
dry:) No logic to me , but hey I just the neuro patient:) <grin> Life in
the fast lane here:)

nancy:)