Bob -

Are you sure it's not a brown spider bite?  Is there a distinct "pimple" in
the center?  I'd really recommend you see your doctor asap just in case it's
something serious.  Brown spider bites can result in loss of skin tissue and,
in rare cases, death.  I can't think of any type of bump to the hand that
would cause it to swell that badly.

Not trying to scare you, but just think you should check it out.

Margie

<< However, after I got home and cleaned up, I noticed a spot about
 the size of a dime on the back of the hand.  The swelling has continued, and
 is now closer to the size of a silver dollar, and raised up over 1/2" tall.
 It is also very painful.  Any ideas on cause and/or something to help? Ice
 and heat are not seeming to help this. >>