Good question Carrie .
Could it be that without the coffee protection the advance of PD would be more
rapid and intense ?? I just wonder ...
Another point is the pleasure one may get of the action of taking a cup of coffee
or doing some sport ones likes , may release dopamine or endorphin and thus
postpone or reduce the PD symptoms .
Cheers,

Carrie Barrott wrote:

> I subscribe to a service provided by RealAge.com, called "Tip of the Day."  I
> have copied and pasted today's tip below.  As I sit here sipping my coffee, I
> am thinking that it is odd that my father, dx'd with PD about 13 years ago at
> about age 50, drank at least a full pot of coffee the first 20 years of my
> life.  Anyway, I thought the list might find this interesting.Tip of the Day
> Catch the Buzz
>
> Coffee-drinkers can wake up to some good news: Those cups of
> java may deliver more than just a breakfast buzz.
>
> A recent study found that the caffeine in coffee might
> protect against Parkinson's disease, a degenerative brain
> disorder that affects more than 1 million Americans.
> Researchers found that study participants who did not drink
> coffee were five times more likely to develop Parkinson's
> than those people who drank about five 6-ounce cups a day.
>
> Researchers have speculated that the caffeine in coffee
> offers protection against the destruction of nerve cells in
> the brain, and thereby guards against Parkinson's.
>
> To learn more about this tip, <A
> HREF="http://kcsd.realage.com/RealAge123765218.4007.0.3820">click here</A>
> http://kcsd.realage.com/RealAge123765218.4007.0.3820

Joao Paulo - Salvador,BA,Brazil