Amid the current debate about the NIH guidelines for stem cell research,
it might be helpful to consider the earlier political controversy over
federal funding for fetal tissue research. I think this illustrates why
the outcome of the U.S. election for President and for Congress is so
important to PWP.

According to the March of Dimes, fetal tissue research was "conducted
since the late 1800's and has provided most of our knowledge about
development before birth." In the 1950's and 60's such research led to
the development of polio and rubella vaccines, Rh incompatibility
treatment, and prenatal diagnosis of genetic  diseases.  Studies of fetal
lung tissues led to a prenatal test for maturity of the unborn baby's
lungs. Decisions about this research was based on scientific, not
political issues.

Research was beginning on  fetal tissue tranplants as potential
treatments for Parkinson's, diabetes, blood disorders , blindness,
Huntington's Disease, Alzheimer's Disease, spinal  motor neuron
regeneration, intractable epilepsy, stroke, and other diseases. However
in the late 1980's Presidents Reagan and Bush issued executive orders
banning federal funding of research involving fetal tissue, and while the
commercially funded research could continue, NIH grants were effectively
ended .

In 1991, a bill to lift the funding ban, introduced by Congressman Henry
Waxman, was passed by the House of Representatives. In March 1992, the
bill also passed the Senate, with the support of those on both sides of
the abortion debate. However, the bill was then vetoed by President Bush.
The House failed by only a few votes to override the president's veto.

It was during this effort to restore federal funding for fetal tissue
research that the Parkinson's Action Network was founded by Joan
Samuelson and Anne Udall. The ban was lifted by legislation signed into
law by President Clinton, shortly after taking office in 1993.

Although treatments other than fetal cell transplants may now appear to
offer more promise for PD --  current research depends on knowledge
acquired during these earlier studies.  How much further along the path
to finding a cure might we be today, if earlier NIH funding had not been
banned ? How much sooner will we arrive at the cure, if the scientists
are fully supported and are allowed to pursue the most promising
research?

Linda Herman