In a message dated 8/26/00 9:15:15 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
<< From: Joao Carvalho [mailto:[log in to unmask]] (I quote)
 > IMHO it is a myth or misconception  " those who believe human life
 > starts at the beginning of conception" ....
 > One may argue : are not the spermatozoids and eggs also alive before the
 > conception ??
 > Must we not then keep all the human produced eggs and spermatozoids alive
 > following this same reasoning ?? >>
Joao,
Your use of logic to reduce a problem to absurdity is, unfortunately, not as
unlikely a conclusion as one would think:
When I was in college (circa 1945) I was in a formal debate which was,
"Resolved that the dissemination of birth control information should be made
legal."
Sounds ridiculous now, but teaching birth control or selling devices for
control were illegal in many states.
My opponent, in his arguments, stated that the use of birth control is akin
to murder.
So the cry of murder today re stem cells is the same reducto absurdum, but
our opponents sincerely believe this argument and that is frightening as hell
 (Probably the same hell they presume you and I are going to.)

When does life begin?
(When the kids leave home and the dog dies - that's when!)
With best wishes,
Sid Levin