Good morning, everyone.  My name is Edith, known as E to my friends, and
I'm a new pilgrim to this list.

For the last few days, I've read the professional pieces, seen and
sometimes visited the recommended URL's , valued your opinions,
agreed/disagreed with some of your positions, and am impressed at your
caring for one another-no matter on which side of the fence you stand.

As a newcomer, I would appreciate any information you can share about the
workings of the list.  There's nothing like putting one's feet in the muck
the first time out!  Then, again, that may just be the way to do it.

This morning a friend informed me that this week is National Friendship
Week.  She included the following:

Subject: WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND...

>> What goes around,comes around
>>
>> His name was Fleming, and he was a poor Scottish farmer. One day, while
>> trying to make a living for his family, he heard a cry for help coming
>> from
>> a nearby bog. He dropped his tools and ran to the bog. There, mired to
>> his
>> waist in black muck, was a terrified boy, screaming and struggling to
>> free himself.
>> Farmer Fleming saved the lad from what could have been a slow and
>> terrifying
>> death.  The next day, a fancy carriage pulled up to the Scotsman's
>> sparse
>> surroundings.  An elegantly dressed nobleman stepped out and introduced
>> himself as the father of the boy Farmer Fleming had saved.
>> "I want to repay you," said the nobleman. "You saved my son's life."
>> "No, I can't accept payment for what I did," the Scottish farmer
>> replied, waving off the offer.
>> At that moment, the farmer's own son came to the door of the family
>> hovel.
>> "Is that your son?" the nobleman asked.  "Yes," the farmer replied
>> proudly.
>> "I'll make you a deal.  Let me take him and give him a good education.
>> If the lad is anything like his father, he'll grow to a man you can be
>> proud of."  And that he did.
>>
>>  In time, Farmer Fleming's son graduated from St. Mary's Hospital
>> Medical School in London, and went on to become known throughout the
>> world as the noted Sir Alexander Fleming, the discoverer of Penicillin.
>>
>> Years afterward, the nobleman's son was stricken with pneumonia.  What
>> saved him?  Penicillin  The name of the nobleman?  Lord Randolph
>> Churchill. His son's name? Sir Winston Churchill.
>>
>>Happy Friendship week, everyone, and may we all walk in the headdress of
the sun.

  E([log in to unmask])