I have been trying to keep up with list messages about embryonic
stem cell research (I am 1000 messages behind on everything
else).  This is such an important topic because the forthcoming
election will give us a choice as to whether or not federal funding of
this promising line of research, which George W. Bush opposes,
will be forbidden by executive order.

Without NIH funding, embryonic stem cell research will continue,
but on a much reduced scale, without the participation of many
expert university researchers, and without the controls and
oversight which the recent NIH guidelines provide.

Fortunately, this is not an issue for Parkinson's disease alone.
According to an article posted by the Foundation for Biomedical
Research at http://www.fbresearch.org/factsstem.htm, there is an
alliance of several disease organizations, called the Coalition for
Urgent Research, that supports the NIH position and includes as
members the Parkinson's Action Network, the American Cancer
Society, and the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation.  Other
diseases which will benefit from embryonic stem cell research,
according to the NIH (see
http://www.nih.gov/news/stemcell/achieve.htm) include diabetes,
heart disease, kidney disease, stroke, autoimmune diseases,
retinal degeneration, Alzheimer's disease, and osteoarthritis -- just
to name a few!

It would be good for the other Parkinson's organizations to unite in
such an alliance in support of the NIH position on embryonic stem
cell research, and perhaps we can facilitate this if we as members
urge our organizations to do so.

Some people have questioned the necessity of using embryonic
stem cells, hoping that adult stem cells will do the job.  The
researchers themselves, however, who are the ones who are most
aware of the capabilities of stem cells, do not say this.  See, for
example, Parkinson's Institute head Dr. Langston's comments on a
study reported on August 8 in which marrow cells were converted
to nerve cells.  He indicated that it is unknown whether it is
possible to make not just nerve cells that way, but brain cells that
make dopamine, that make it in the right amount, and that do not
revert back to marrow cells.

Regarding the underlying ethical issues, it seems always to come
back to the question of the personhood of the early stage embryo.
Some list members have suggested avoiding controversial research
or have said that discussing such ethical questions is useless
because everyone's mind is already made up.  I believe that there
is value in critically understanding the implicit ideas behind our own
deeply held beliefs, as well as identifying and understanding the
sources of these beliefs.  Study and discussion can bring these
out, and growth can result.  Unexamined beliefs, on the other hand,
are not worth holding.

My own thoughts on the matter, and I would appeciate critical and
thoughtful responses, are as follows: there can't be a person or
human being without the biological equipment to support it. A
group of a few dozen unspecialized embryonic cells which have
division into more cells as their only current function and capability,
constitutes an organism, but it is not at all what we mean by the
term "person" or even "child" in the ordinary sense.  Early
embryonic cells contain a "potential" person by virtue of the DNA,
but this potential is a program for the development of a person, and
is not the actual resulting unique and valuable person.

At what point in the development of an embryo or fetus there
emerges a human being or person is impossible to say, but it
seems to me that it happens gradually, in parallel with the
development of increasing fetal complexity and function, and not all
at once at any particular point in time. This point has not been
reached or even closely approached by the embryo when stem
cells are extracted for research. There is life then, yes, but
certainly not a human being, not even a tiny one.

This is not inconsistent with religious belief. (And religion is an
especially good thing for politicians to profess in public these days,
say the newspapers.)  It is similar to but not identical with, what I
understand to be the view of Saint Augustine, who held that the
fetus had to reach a certain level of of development before it could
be animated with a human soul.

Phil Tompkins
Amherst, Massachusetts
age 62/dx 1990