On 28 Aug 00, at 19:15, Dave Bergford wrote:

> > The "joke" advocates and excuses *physical violence* against a human
> > being.
>
> Unfortunately, you are right.  I use the word "unfortunately" because
> folks have gotten far too sensitive.  There is almost nothing any of
> us can say that won't offend someone.  Isn't it a bit crazy that
> people accept violence and sexist "stuff" on TV and in movies (pure
> fiction), but become immediately offended by a joke (pure fantasy)
> with the same elements. Regardless, that's the way the world is.  And,
> people do lose their jobs over this type of thing even though they may
> not have had malicious motives. I guess the problem is that it is very
> difficult to know where to draw the line - -  what elements cause a
> joke to become offensive?  The answer, therefore, is that it must not
> offend anyone at all.
>
> Dave Bergford

Very true, Dave.  The courts have already stated several times that
"offensive" means that which is offensive to the complainant.  When
the rules say that, there is little room for humor of that type.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.
Professional Corporation
2500 Milvia Street   Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636  USA
Phone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink>

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"