I have been so wrung out about Barbara's condition, I failed to tell the
family and friends out there of the facts.  As you know Barb was
diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease about twelve years ago and by the
time symptoms appear, 80% of the neurons are gone.  Therapy currently
consists of replacing the dopamine neurotransmitter that the body  no
longer
produces together with several other chemical; aids.  But as the disease
progresses, the  therapy requires larger and more frequent doses for
replacement so that Barbara can function at all.  A major problem with
this therapy is that three of principal drugs may produce side effects
like hallucinations, psychosis, and paranoia allegedly with about 30% of
the people with Parkinson, and Barbara is one of them.

After a restless night of very loud nightmares, I found Barbara semi
conscious on the floor by the bed, and I was unable to give her the pill
she normally takes upon arising.  I called the psychiatrist, Greenspring
security and 911.  She was taken to the hospital ER from where she was
admitted for dehydration, confusion, and psychosis.

She is being given IV glucose, and trying to restore some kind of drug
regimen including an anti psychotic.  She has been there for about ten
days and she has refused to eat.  Yesterday, seemed like a lost week end
with no apparent moment of lucidity, and we were beginning to worry more
intensely; but today our friend Conne came to visit and during the six
or so hours she spent with Barbara, she was able to feed her and
somewhat exchange words.  The medication is being titrated slowly, but
nobody is willing to provide a prognosis though it looks like she may
need some rehab in a nursing home for a short time, a matter of 2-3
weeks  to give her a chance to stabilize food intake and medication
under medical supervision.
I thought you should know.