Margie, RE: The Herald article:
<< There is a big article by Kansas Senator Sam Boneblack
 in the morning Miami Herald entitled RESEARCH VS. LIFE.
 In his article he states "Clearly, we must continue to fight to
 help cure disease and alleviate suffering. But why not use adult
 stem cells, which do not require the destruction of human life"?. >>

Thanks for calling our attention to Senator Sam Brownback's misbegotten
concepts.
Interestingly enough, the answer was in the same PIEN letter in an article by
Janet Paterson quoting BBC.
I quote from her letter: "...Daniel Salomon, of the Scripps Institute in
California,
reported he had shown that pig viruses, known as porcine endogenous
retroviruses, could infect human cells"

Although Mr. Salomon's report is important, it merely confirms something that
the scientists have said all along was a real danger. So Senator Brownback's
question merely displays his lack of knowledge on the subject or a purposeful
distortion of the facts to appeal to those who are appalled by the tough
choices we face!

I guess it's time for me to get towork and send my list of activists some
more ammunition for their Congressman.
(If anyone out there wants to be on my personal action list drop me a line. )
Sid