for once i am in agreement with someone on a religious/philosophical issue.

but i think, if we go back to the biblicl verse which i think is the basis for
this view point (lev 19:18) G-d is telling us to 'love thy neighbour as
thyself" the important thing is to remember the last two words. we are not
told to 'love thy neighbour at the expence of t;hyself" but "as thyself" thus
implying that we have to love ourselves - ie have self respect and selfesteem,
and care for our owhn well being, in order to be able to "love thy neighbour"
hilary blue