From:          "PJ Finn" <[log in to unmask]>
To:            [snip]
Subject:       First Year English Programs
Date:          Tue, 12 Sep 2000 21:42:52 -0700

Hello,
During the 1999/2000 academic year the Department of English at the
University of Victoria <http://www.engl.uvic.ca> , in conjunction with The
Canadian Association of Chairs of English (CACE), conducted a survey of
First Year English Programs at Canadian universities. The survey operated by
distributing a list of 6 detailed questions. The Chairs and their
departments were contacted by email, fax and phone.
The organizers of this survey would like to thank all of the Chairs and
departments for their kindness and understanding when responding to the
survey. We were able to approach a response rate of 90% - a real achievement
given the length of the questionnaire and the typically demanding schedule
of department Chairs.
Special note should be made of the format of the survey. The answers are
transcriptions of emails, faxes, letters and phone conversations. Many of
the interviews were conducted as interviewees rushed between committee
meetings, classes, conferences and other important activities. Due to the
nature of this process, readers will find this report rich in the type of
creative grammar that arises from informal conversation, point-form answers
and electronic dispatches.
A set of preliminary results of the survey were delivered to the annual
meeting of CACE at the Congress of the Social Sciences and Humanities held
at the University of Alberta this past spring. This web site is the next
step in our continuing work on this project. Updates will be posted and any
input or commentary would be most welcome.
To view the site click on the link below or copy and paste it into the
address window of your browser:

http://web.uvic.ca/~pjfinn/fys/

If you would like a printed copy, please contact me at the address below and
let me know if you would like an attached file, fax or hard copy.

Cheers,

Patrick Finn, PhD Candidate
Department of English
University of Victoria
STN CSC
PO 3070
Victoria, British Columbia
V8W 3W1
250.383.9051

                                __|~_
Russell A. Hunt            __|~_)_ __)_|~_    Professor of English
St. Thomas University      )_ __)_|_)__ __)  PHONE: (506) 452-0424
Fredericton, New Brunswick   |  )____) |       FAX: (506) 450-9615
E3B 5G3   CANADA          ___|____|____|____/    [log in to unmask]
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.StThomasU.ca/~hunt/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~