John asked about the sequencing of writing courses:

> Subj: Canadian 1st-year writing courses

> Colleagues, it's that time of year again when Brock University's rather
> naive English dept dreams up unusual things to do to its young writing
> program, and so I need your help with a couple of questions about Canadian
> 1st-year writing courses:
>
> 1) Do any Canadian universities or colleges offer 2-course sequences in 1st
> year?  I know these are common in the US, but general ed requirements are
> also common there.  I'm not aware of any such Canadian offerings (correct
> my ignorance please) and I'm hoping Brock sees the wisdom of doing one
> course well rather than two courses poorly.

At UCC we've sequenced our first-year offerings, vectoring them
at 4 hours per class.  English 110 (first semester; 4 hours of
composition); English 111 (2nd sem.; 4 hours of prose fiction, with
1 hour dedicated to writing instruction); English 121 (2nd sem.;
4 hours poetry & drama, with 1 hour dedicated to writing instruction).
Our second-year offerings are also sequenced (Engl. 201/202, intermediate
composition); Engl. 229 (oral & written communications).
Third-year offerings include English 308 (creative non-fiction), 309
(writing in the disciplines), 310 (classical rhetoric), 311 (contemporary
rhetoric), 476 (scholarly editing).  In short, the sequencing of
rhet/comp courses--from 1st year through 4th year--informs the "logic"
of our "Rhetoric & Professional Writing" Major.

Cheers,  Will

                     < < Dr. W.F. Garrett-Petts > >

 Chair, Journalism Program   ._______
  UCC, 900 McGill Rd         | \   / |    Voice: (250) 828-5248
   Box 3010, Kamloops B.C. --|.O.|.O.|______. FAX: (250) 371-5697
    B.C. V2C 5N3 Canada.__).-| = | = |/   \ |  E-mail: [log in to unmask]
                        >__) (.'---`.)Q.|.Q.|--. http://www.cariboo.bc.ca
                                     \\.-.//
                                      `---'
                   < < Writing is a Performance Art > >