Thanks for mentioning this survey, Russ. For everyone's convenience, I've
pasted a key paragraph from the results:

"All but seven departments offer composition courses, although some offer
composition only as a component
 of a combination composition/literature course. Composition sections are,
on average, smaller than
 literature sections. Of 350 sections of composition so far included in the
survey, only 25 have class-maxima
 of 60 or above. These large classes average 107 students per section.
Smaller composition courses, which
 make up the vast majority of those offered, have, across universities, an
average maximum of 31 students.
 The lowest reported maximum was 17, and the highest for smaller courses
was 38. "

I'm gratified that "small" (average size 31 !!!) composition classes are by
far the majority, but also curious that there are as many as 25
lecture-hall classes.  I wonder if many of those are "combination
composition/literature courses" which, from my understanding, often make
little more than a token effort at teaching writing.  For example, I
believe both Saskatchewan and Alberta (among others) have such classes with
recommended formula roughly along the lines of 70%-30% (i.e., 70%
literature, 30% composition).  However, from talking with faculty from both
those depts, I understand that the 30% composition is often diluted to 20%
or lower.

At 09:02 AM 9/13/00 AST4ADT, you wrote:
>I suspect this, which I just received notice of because it was sent
>to department chairs and I'm acting this year, is relevant to the
>current discussion. It seems to be the grandchild of the survey I
>did for CACE back in neolithic times . . . (on my Web site at . . .
>/cacesurv.htm ).
>
>                                  -- Russ

All the best,
John
----

John B. Killoran, PhD
Assistant Professor
Dept. of English Language and Literature
Brock University
St. Catharines, Ontario
L2S 3A1   Canada
(905) 688-5550 ext.3886