I suspect Cathy may well be right about this --

> Hmm. I have feeling the results of the survey are skewed because
> the surveys only used Chairs of English as their sources. I bet a
> different picture would emerge if they surveyed a group higher up
> in the food chain of universities--a group that could see a larger
> picture of where "writing" courses are really being taught.

The survey was done for the purposes of English departments, really,
not for, um, folks interested in writing.  And it's not a trivial
skew that it's concerned only with first year courses, either.  And
mine, 20 years ago, was skewed in the same ways for the same
reasons. I think we need to be aware of this skewing, but the results
are still worth putting in the hopper as we think about the larger
issue.

                                  -- Russ
                                __|~_
Russell A. Hunt            __|~_)_ __)_|~_    Professor of English
St. Thomas University      )_ __)_|_)__ __)  PHONE: (506) 452-0424
Fredericton, New Brunswick   |  )____) |       FAX: (506) 450-9615
E3B 5G3   CANADA          ___|____|____|____/    [log in to unmask]
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.StThomasU.ca/~hunt/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~