hello all:

on Thu, 31 Aug 2000 14:45:35 -0400, hilary blue wrote, in part:
>... view point (lev 19:18) G-d is telling us to 'love thy
>neighbour as thyself" the important thing is to remember
>the last two words. we are not told to 'love thy neighbour
>at the expense of thyself" but "as thyself" thus implying
>that we have to love ourselves - ie have self respect and
>selfesteem, and care for our own well being, in order to
>be able to "love thy neighbour" ...

i agree with you here

i think we cannot truly love anyone until we fully
understand what love means

and we can't get there until we fully
love ourselves and know ourselves to be lovable

love isn't calculated on a balance sheet
it doesn't mean 'getting something'
and it doesn't mean 'giving up anything'

i also tend to think that the idea of 'sacrifice' is a holdover
from the days of belief in a cruel and vengeful god (or gods)
which qualities might be more appropriate to an idea of
man creating a god in his image
rather than the reverse

janet

janet paterson
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
tel: 613 256 8340 url: "http://www.geocities.com/janet313/"
email: [log in to unmask] smail: POBox 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada