Hi all,

        FYI ...

        Every Web site (or arm of a Web site) has some specific theme.
     One arm of my Web site deals with the  60s/70s  rock  band  Grand
     Funk  Railroad  and that part of my site is in a Grand Funk Rail-
     road Web ring.  Part of my site has to do with the  fact  that  I
     still  consider myself something of a drummer.  That part is in a
     drummer's Web ring.  I have  a  really  strange,  unusual,  (some
     might  say weird or ill-minded) fascination with the Teletubbies.
     That arm of my Web site is  in  several  Teletubbies  Web  rings.
     And, I have Parkinson's Disease. And, that part of my Web site is
     in the PWP Web ring.

        So ...

        Every Web Ring has an administrator and a Web  author  has  to
     request to the ring's administrator to be added to the ring.  Up-
     on approval, the Web author adds code  to  their  Web  page  that
     gives visitors to their site access to other sites in the ring.

        The  Web  author  has no control over what other sites get ap-
     proved and added to the ring.  That is the purview of the  admin-
     istrator  only.   The  administrator of the ring usually looks at
     the primary page of the URL the Web author is asking to be  added
     to  verify that it's theme is in line with the theme of the ring.
     Rarely will they take the trouble to  explore  the  Web  author's
     whole site or click through on any of their links.

        The Web author has absolutely no control over what other sites
     are added to the ring.  Nor, do they have any  control  over  the
     content or links on any other Web sites in the ring.

        And, in any event ...

        Pornography  is a fact of life on the Internet.  Based on what
     I've seen in my six or seven short years on the 'Net (and the  47
     years I've spent in this "reality" we call Earth), it ain't gonna
     go away.  No matter what moral code you choose to follow, no mat-
     ter what belief systems you have fallen into, no matter what your
     particular opinion on the subject is, it's out there and you have
     to find a way to deal with it.

        I've  often  said that if you give me any random starting URL,
     five or ten minutes of time, and between 10 and 20 mouse  clicks,
     I  can get to a porn Web site (without a search).  It's just that
     prevalent.

        So, what does one do ...

        Because of this, if it is important to you to be shielded from
     the  inevitable,  if  you want to keep your computer free of what
     some people would call trash, there are many good  blocking  pro-
     grams that are available and will keep such things from coming to
     your screen.  It really is a choice you must  make.   You  either
     put up with it or block it.

        And, because of this ...

        This  whole topic of whether one of our list-member's daughter
     has a porn Web site or not is certainly off-topic, is getting re-
     ally  ridiculous,  and is already more than annoying.  Drop it --
     Please!  If you feel the need to discuss such  things,  I'm  sure
     the  Moral  Majority's  mailing  list would be more than happy to
     host the conversation.

        Heck, I haven't even been to the Web site yet.  But, based  on
     the comments on list and where they are coming from.  *I* am sure
     that there is absolutely nothing pornographic on this young  wom-
     an's  Web  site.   I  am  absolutely positive that the people who
     found the "porn," followed a link or two (Why  the  heck  do  you
     think the call it the "Web?"), and ended up on a site that possi-
     bly had some softcore "stuff" on it.

        As someone mentioned that this woman has a Web cam on  in  her
     residence  (I believe someone mentioned this so long ago that the
     other silliness that has occurred on the topic since  has  buried
     it in my brain somewhere),  I can assure you that there are *more
     than a few* Web rings dedicated to people who have Web-cams on in
     their  home.   And, by golly, yes, if someone has a Web-cam on in
     their home, you might chance on a view from the camera  that  you
     find objectionable.

        Can  we *please* drop this silly thread now before more people
     get their feelings hurt unnecessarily? PLEASE?

        If you want to know a little more about Web rings, one of  the
     many places you can go is:

                      http://dir.webring.yahoo.com/rw

        But, be prepared, there are many Web rings out there that some
     of you may find objectionable.  If you click through  to  one  of
     them  and  find it necessary to blame me for your mistake, please
     flame me off-list because your complaint will most certainly have
     nothing to do with Parkinson's Disease.

Bill--
  ... who is still coming out of his "blue funk" and is still easily annoyed.

.. William A. Parrette ...... 7177 Heritage Drive ....+--------- (42?) --+
.. [log in to unmask] .............. Westchester ............|    /\_/\  /      |
.. [log in to unmask] ......... OH 45069-4012 ..........|   ( o.o )        |
.. [log in to unmask] ..... 513/779-0780 ...........|    > - <         |