At 07:33 AM 9/7/00 , Judith Richards wrote:

>        I had this in my files... Judith
>------
>Company to Launch Test for Parkinson's in Europe
> By Richard Woodman
>
>LONDON, August 3, 2000 (Reuters Health) - The world's first diagnostic
>test for Parkinson's disease has won European marketing approval and
>will be launched in the autumn, Nycomed Amersham announced.

-snip-

>"There are around 500,000 Parkinson's disease sufferers across Europe,
>with 60,000 new cases diagnosed every year, ...

I pull this out as an interesting statistic because, in the U.S., we lobby our
government with the same statistic of 60,000 new cases diagnosed each year.
However, we use the figure of 1,000,000 or (preferably, we believe) 1,500,000
sufferers.  That's two to three times as many sufferers for the same number of
diagnoses - too great a difference for me, at least, to explain away easily.

Does anyone have a good insight on this?

Art