On 6 Sep 2000, at 5:12, Hans van der Genugten wrote:

> Hi Lanier,
>
> >> I had heard a figure of 1 in 300 for people over 65. Can anyone else
> confirm what numbers we have
> heard before. <<
>
> I thought it was as follows:
> 2 out of every 100 persons above 65 have PD
> 1 out of every 350 - 500 persons in general population.
>
> The variation (350 - 500) is a result from different methods of counting
> (and the accuracy and reliability of them) in various countries.
>
> Hans.

Hi Hans, Lanier, and All,
I am a member of a trade union with approx. 400 members.
We have 3 persons with Parkinson's, 2 with Essential Tremor,
1 with MS, 1 with Lupus, at least a dozen with heart surgery,
at least a dozen have experienced cancer....
We are all males except one.  We are evenly split, 200 over age 50,
200 under age 50.... Our trade, and thus the membership, is very
stable... This is still one of the very few industries where a
person may spend an entire career.  As a 37 year member, I know
almost all of the members.  Many of the newer members are sons or
grandsons of older members.

Two were dx with Parkinsons after age 50, one before...

What does it all mean?  Probably not much but I think these
"stats" are probably pretty typical.

Cheers ...... murray