>>I have been asked why go to the walk in NYC for PD when I can use that
money and donate it to the same foundation?? <<

Good question.  (Anyone who likes to start List Wars please read no
further.)

If you are highly motivated to raise money locally for PD research or
wish to give to a deserving charitable organization and you view
spending money on travel expense as an unnecessary luxury there's no
reason to come to New York for the Parkinson's Unity Walk.

So why bother?

Because it's a powerful feeling to be with people who share something in
common and are commited to bringing about change.  I've talked to quite
a few people with Parkinson's who were ambivalent about the Walk until
they experienced it.  There's something very positive about thousands of
people with Parkinson's along with their families and friends getting
together for exercise, music, food and fun without any embarassment or
fear.  You are with people who understand.  It's a pretty unique situation.

If there was a pill that could give you energy and motivation without
side effects would you as a caregiver or PWP ask for a prescription?  I
believe exercise, activity and social interaction can be that miracle
drug when it comes to PD.  OK, it's not a cure and it may not alleviate
your symptoms all that much but the positive effect is very real for so
many people.  I know.  I've seen them.  I've met them.  I've worked with them.

The Parkinson's Action Network Advocacy Forums (now MJF Foundation
Forums) have served to inspire hundreds of PWPs over the last six years.
 It's all about the people.  Forums, seminars, conventions and support
group meetings are all opportunities to meet people - people who share
your experience and who are looking to work together to improve their lives.

I have turned down invitations to attend charitable events when I
thought my travel costs  could be better spent on the cause.  I have no
qualm with anyone who would save their money and give more to the effort
to cure PD.  Heaven knows there are not enough people who have that kind
of energy and commitment.  We need everyone we can get.

But please don't feel guilty because you will be spending money to
travel to an advocacy forum - or a symposium - or a fundraising event.
If you are able to take that experience and help yourself and others
it's a win-win situation for everyone.  Who knows, you might even feel a
whole lot better when you get home.

Have a great Sunday on September 24th -  wherever you choose to spend it.