Hi all ,

Phil Tompkins wrote:

> {HYPERLINK "http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20000829/sc/stem_cell_primer_1.html"}The researchers say studies of both adult and embryonic stem cells are
> needed.By PAUL RECER, AP Science Writer
>
> WASHINGTON (AP) - Despite a papal condemnation of embryonic stem
> cell research, scientists say it cannot be abandoned because it could lead
> to such great medical benefits for millions of patients.
>
> Pope John Paul II said Tuesday that any research that results in the death
> or injury of a human embryo is "not morally acceptable'' even though the
> work may eventually offer important medical boons.

Even on the risk of offend religious minds I can't help of thinking that religions appeal to unrational condemnations like the hebrews and pork's meat ,
the Jehovah Testimonies  the blood donation ,now the embryo by the Pope, etc.

It may be wise to remember that in name of condemnations humanity has suffered saint wars (religious wars), Inquisitions and so forth , and many years
later realize the errors of them.

I am sure the embryo will be one more to a long list of wrong condemnations .

Cheers,
Joao Paulo - Salvador,BA,Brazil