George,
Try sleeping on a big wedge pillow which allows you to sleep in almost a
sitting position, especially from the shoulders up.  Sleeping on this pillow
not only helps phlegm and sinus problems, it does wonders   if you have an acid
reflux problem.
A lot of bedding and back  stores sell these novelty pillows. I got mine
online at the company store and I love it.
Cathy