Hans van der Genugten wrote:
> >> The neuro (my cousin) concluded it was caused by a drop in blood pressure caused by suddenly standing up and contributed to by the urination.
> Sudden drop in bloodpressure (orthostatic hypotension) can be caused by:
> - PD itself (as mentioned in Goldsteins article)

BUT orthostatic hypotension is rare enough in PD that its occurrence
usually leads to diagnosis of Shy-Drager Syndrome, where it is the
most important clinical distinction from PD. However SDS (one of the
Multiple System  Atrophy family) itself is much rarer than PD, so the
diagnosis at first is probably a tossup.

> - PD medications (especially while titrating them)
> - standing up from lying or sitting, or going from bent forward into
> standing position.
> - urinating (especially men if they are standing and shortly after
> awakening).
>
> In addition PWP may also have a generally low bloodpressure, which of course can enhance the previously mentioned effects.

Some think chronic low bp in PD (mine at age 78 is usually 110/70) is
due to the disease, but most think its due to levodopa. Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road