Sandy & Marge,

        I find that shortness of breath is a function of "on-ness."  Some PWP get
dystonia in the chest muscles, and of course that limits chest expansion /
effective lung capacity. This reduced capacity is made much worse if the
PWP also is stooped.

        I just finished working with two physical therapy masters'  level students
 at the University of Maryland [Eastern Shore Campus] in Princess Anne.
They worked with a small group of PWPs  who were volunteer guinea pigs for
upper body flexibility exercises. The results are not in yet, but it is
expected that exercise designed to improve upper torso and extremities will
result in some improvement in breathing capacity.

        Couch potato PWPs who sit and watch TV can improve breathing capacity by
having the TV placed where one needs to look  up to see it.  There are
several available devices for holding TVs on the wall near ceiling level.
One word of caution / suggestion. Be sure the hanger is secure by attaching
the frame to wall studs with fairly long screws rather than just driving
screws into wall board / dry wall. The placement of the TV near the ceiling
also gives a room more available floor space.

        The diaphragm used for breathing also will usually work better when one's
head / shoulders are raised over the rest of the body. Internal organs
lower in the torso will press against the lungs if one is lying down.  Many
PWPs sleep in recliner chairs for that reason.

        Another trick is the use of heart medications such as nitroglycerine or
three nitrates to expand one's capillaries. The usual intent of "nitrostat"
is to expand the capillaries in the heart, but "nitro" will also expand the
capillaries in th lungs somewhat.  This makes small b reaths more
effective.

Will Johnnston
A.P.D.A. DelMarVA Chapter Pres.
4049 Oakland School Road