On 7 Sep 2000, at 16:42, Alf Cousins wrote:
> Ah yes! I'd just asked a question about mis-diagnosis when all this other
> stuff flared up.  'Course I can see how it'd be much easier to get involved
> with all that other stuff but now that it's all behind us, can I re-ask my
> question? I won't post the full question again unless anybody requests it.
> In short, if I'm one of the 25% found to be mis-diagnosed at post mortem
> (you'll have to shout loud 'cos I won't be hearing too good) what's the
> probability that I will actually have suffered something worse, better or
> the same as PD?
> Go for it!
> Alf
> Adelaide
> 50 <1 48

Hi Alf and All,
Misdiagnosis or failure to diagnose with any certainty is very common
amongst the Early Onset parkies for sure. I personally dealt with a series
of drs., symptoms, and maybes over a decade before my wife and a dance
instructor decided my problems were probably Parkinson's. (we were taking
ballroom lessons as a form of recreational therapy at the time) Given
the current state of PD awareness (since MJF) I think my diagnosis might
have been a "gimmee" much sooner.

I'm not a medical person Alf, I'm a mechanic with Parkinson's. I'm
hardly qualified to speculate what you might have if not PD. Who is?

Now, will some of us have something better or worse?  Degrees of better
or worse are all relative to an individual's perception my friend.
Witness the quality of this List. It is all what we make of it.

Better or worse? Lou Gehrig spoke a bushel when he said "Fans,
for the past two weeks you have been reading about a bad break I got.
Yet today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth.
I have been in ballparks for seventeen years and I have never received
anything but kindness and encouragement from you fans…" Lou Gehrig had
been diagnosed with ALS.  Our *fans* are our family, friends, and loved
ones, and *hopefully* the members of this List.

I personally find this List motivating. We are going through some very
difficult things in our lives and it is good to know that we are not alone.
It;s good to know we have a place to seek support, to offer support, or
just recharge.  Such is the *magic* of this List.

I do wish that more people would take the time to show others that they
truly care. Quality of life and better or worse sometimes requires an
attitude adjustment. Let us be kind to one another. Life is short so
live it to the fullest.

Anything is possible with the right attitude. Enjoy the scenery along
life's many detours.

All the best ......... murray    Now where were we??