first comment:  sorry, ben...... thanks for correcting me. i have a little
bit of trouble with my mouse and i may have to double click sometimes - or
sometimes it double-clicks by itself!! and sometimes i forget if i should
do one click or two. :)))

>Two comments.
>
>(A)  There is no need to _double_ click  on "parkinson's
>list online"; a single click will do the trick.

second comment: i should have said-- if this doesn't work for you, copy the
email address into your own email program's address section. and copy the
message into your email program's message section and send it that way.  i
had a problem like this previously, but the last time i suspended my email
for a vacation, it worked like john had intended.

>(B)  "Click on the button" does not work for everybody. For
>some versions of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, it
>seems impossible to implement the requisite configuration:
>when you click on a mail-sending button, you get an error
>message (default mail client not properly installed).
>
>For list-members to whom (B) applies, it would be useful to
>point them to some cyber-spot where they can find standard
>instructions.

and where might this be? my experience in dealing with people who are not
familiar with computers, is it's better to try to make it as easy as it can
be than turning them loose with computer instructions written in
computerese. i have rescued some list members who were directed to standard
instructions and got terribly confused by them.

i am a computer programmer by trade. in my current job i'm responsible for
installing sofware and instructing how to use it. i also trouble-shoot
computer problems. i'm sys admin for a win nt system which handles our gis
data base.  i also teach classes for new users. so i think i am qualified
to offer help here on this list. however, i don't expect to be the only one
who offers help. surely you can jump in and help newbies too. we are all in
this together - to help one another.

remember, you and i can look at standard instructions and decipher them.
john cottingham has understood a need for making the whole procedure
simpler - not only for the newbies but also for those who have trouble with
the keyboard/mouse and need to have a system like john's. if you have a
problem with this why not email john and make a suggestion how he could
implement something different. i'm sure he will be receptive and helpful as
usual.

or take some cyber-instructions and rewrite them so they are understandable
to a newbie. that would be terrific if you would do this for the list.

in the meantime, (a) lighten up a little. (b)  learn to laugh a little (c)
this certainly isn't the first mistake i've made this year.... lol.... i
have learned to laugh at myself when this happens because i realize i'm
human, (d)  may your mouse never double-click when it shouldn't, may your
emails never get lost in cyber-space, and may you learn to be a little more
gentler in your critcism.... you didn't offend me, but some others may have
started a list war over this.    :))))))

barb k