Jo Ann,

I only paid $800 for my husband's Compaq computer, complete,
and that was at least 4 years ago.  Its a Pentium II.
They can't be more than about $399 new now, probably
even less.
   Check around,
I know that Houston is larger than Fort Lauderdale, so there
should be plenty of competition.
Look in the yellow pages and see if you have a company which
offers used, reconditioned computers with a 90 day warranty.
We have a company like that down here.

You are right, your computer is ancient, and it wouldn't pay to
upgrade it.  You need W95 to go on Juno Internet for $9.95 per month,
but there are some places offering free Internet Services,  right
off hand I don't know who they are. Get yourself a computer with
which you can go online, and we'll find one for you.
I'm certain if you call around you can find something you can afford,
and will get you on-line, you are missing so much information.
Feel better soon.

just me,
Marjorie