Hi Nancy... (Sorry this is so long - I was deep in flashbacks and
just let it all out on ya)

I live in the San Fernando Valley part of Los Angeles and was
forced to spent more time then I EVER thought I would searching
for an living home for my mom, who suffered from dementia due to
having had couple or three heart attacks or strokes (it was enough
that she was regularly seen by her cardiologist and took the
drugs, according to her
GP who had treated both my parents for over 25 years)

I had TWO experiences moving mom - about 5 years apart, as the
initial move was to a well  run large senior's HOTEL.  They rented
out single rooms or 2 and 3 room suites, but provided no assisted
living.  There was an agency on the premises which residents,
family, or caregivers could arrange to have by-the-hour assistance
at $10 per hour.   The assistants  were all Philipinas and without
exception, were thoughtful and kindly to mom.

There was a lovely dining room there, and also a game room and an
up-to-date library,   They showed movies regularly, and many day
trips.

The single room and bath plus parking (mom still had her car when
she first moved. tho hardly froze it any longer, because we worked
with her MD to save her pride, yet get her to understand that in
stopping her ability to drive, we were prolly saving some other
innocent person (or two or three!) from being hit and killed by
her!!

As mom's dementia go noticeably worse it  was suggested to me that
it was time to move her to an assisted living facility and believe
me, it wasn't at ALL "hotel-like." It was a very nice place which
was 2 minutes from ,my home, so I was able to visit mom daily.  I
was able to lunch or dinner, or to the mall, or back to my home
where Mom and I cooked dinner for two!  We BOTH had a great time
puttering 'round the kitchen together.

The second time we moved mom it was to a 6 resident assisted care
home.  There was one staff member for every two persons. All
residents had dementia EXCEPT for the 2 ladies who were PWPs.
While the two PWPs got their meds every 4 hours, day and nite,
they were prescribed by a staff MD," who came by every day to see
patients.  In my opinion, he merely doped the 2 PWP ladies up so
they'd keep from going ;round the bend as their PD meds wore off.
I sat there and spoke with both PWP ladies and found that each
suffered from terrible "offs" several times a day, yet when I
spoke with the owner, together with the two attendants about what
an "on and off " cycle was and what PD "freezing,": plus other PD
symptoms that the "average" (Hahahaha!  Like there IS such a
critter as "average" PD symptoms!) Parkie might encounter each
day.

.The home was  in a LOVLY neighborhood, near everything and I felt
that was important as a caregiver of sorts.  If mom had a yen for
chocolate ice cream at 10:05 p.m., that I had 12 or 14 hours of
access to drop in on mom. and I was accommodated.  Also,. was a
market access the street from the residence and it only took me a
minute to go there and pick up s pint of Haagan Daz Chocolate Ice
cream and drop it off at the residence.  The whole deed was done
in about 10 minutes!

By the way. it made a LOT of difference in mom's comfort-level
(and MY guilt Level) that mom was permitted to move several pieces
of her own furniture in each of the 2 times she moved.  Err...
when I'd visit her she'd comment (while pointing at her lovely
French breadbox which was hung on the living room wall and
backlighed just as she'd always had it in her own homes throughout
the years.  It now hangs in my home and I feel like it's an old
childhood friend each time I see it.

Mom's connection to her long-time possessions that we moved along
with her when she moved elicited one of those painful moments when
mom'd point to one or another of her lovely antique furnishings
and say, "OH... I used to have a table, chest, whatever JUST like
that.  Till the day mom died she commented  that she "used to have
something just like that in her REAL home."

Since I'm single and  am almost 58 (OHMAGOSH!  How did  _ I _ get
to be THAT old??? <grin>, I have my eye on a stunning home in a
gorgeous neighborhood of elegant remodeled homes (there's still
plenty of original owners there tho so the neighborhood can
accommodate more of these comfortable remodeled homes for board
and care homes... much to the neighbor's chagrin.  Contraction is
almost completed and  I can't WAIT
to see what's been done with this home in order to accommodate
their anticipated residents.  I'll report back to the List after
the house is open for viewing.

Well, m'friends....this has been an unanticipated cathartic
experience for me which I hadn't planned on tonight.  Thanks for
"Listening"

Barb Mallut

.