hi all

on  Tue, 12 Sep 2000 08:50:44 -0600 "Kelly Grant <[log in to unmask]>"
wrote:

>This is a "forward" item I received. I don't know whether or
>not this is a hoax but I decided to err on the side of caution
>and forward to you.

>Warning...... HEATING WATER IN MICROWAVE
>....snip....
>Please pass this information on to family and friends.

sorry, kelly,
this is a typical internet hoax in the form of yet another "scare-o-gram"

it might be best to err on the hoax side of caution
before sending out such material to 1800 plus plus list-members

the clues as to hoax-ness are:

for those interested newbies
internet hoaxes / urban legends / e-mail chain letters
are written by puerile dweebs competing to see who can write
the biggest- and fastest-spreading ethereal myth on the internet.
they frequently have microsoft as a direct or indirect target;
whatever, the net [!} result
is a sad waste of internet resources and time
hardware-, software-, and wetware-wise.
[human beans are known to some dweebs
as wet-ware - don't ask me how i know that one!]

it's too bad that we have to become ever more suspicious about our e-mail
but i guess that's just another downside to this miraculous medium

remember
just because it's written in ascii doesn't mean it's not written by an ass!

if you want to know more about these hoaxes
go to your favourite internet search engine
[mine is <http://www.google.com/>]
and type in "internet hoax urban legend"
and be prepared for some good examples of brain-wasting

and, kelly,
you did nothing "wrong" by sending this in

the dweebs who write these things are clever (despite their dweebness)
and besides, we have lots of new listmembers
who you will have helped learn something today

janet
just another pieNET list elf

ps
i will be posting this message in the newbie section of my website
for ongoing reference

janet paterson
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
tel: 613 256 8340 url: "http://www.geocities.com/janet313/"
email: [log in to unmask] smail: POBox 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada