I'm a Mechanical Engineer, not a Physicist, but I think the following
conditions make it a theoretical possibility:

1. The water must be very pure without any contaminants or minerals that
would help precipitate the formation of bubbles.

2. The container must be smooth at the microscopic level and very clean.

3. The liquid must be held very "quiet" during the heating process, i.e., no
vibration or outside disturbance.

4. The heating process must be fast.

5. The liquid must be heated somewhat beyond 212 to get a substantial
explosion. The reason is the latent heat of evaporation would very quickly
lower the temperature to below the boiling point if the temperature was just
at or slightly above 212.

6. Surface tension could also have a bearing on the phenomenon.

There may be more, but these are the significant ones. As to your adding
instant coffee to hot water, I believe that is related to 1 above in that
the coffee is a "contaminant" that helps kick the process. Some chemicals
actually lower the boiling point temperature, therefore if you add it to
water at 200 degrees F, it could start boiling if the mixture lowers the
boiling point to something less than 200. (We achieve the same type effect
at the other end of the scale by adding salt to ice (or water) to lower the
freezing point. If there was a way to suddenly remove the salt from liquid
water at say 20 degrees F, it would instantly freeze.

Personally, I never heat my coffee water to the boiling point (cause I need
to drink it as soon as possible, I am not a morning person!) unless doing it
over a campfire (boiled coffee). I heat it based on time (1 minute and 40
seconds, where 2 minutes would make it boil - in my microwave oven -
everyone's would be different).

It's been 41 years since college, so don't you people out there nit pick
this dissertation too much!