Date sent:              Sun, 10 Sep 2000 21:48:16 -0500
Send reply to:          [log in to unmask]
From:                   Frans van Duinen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: NEWS: Washington Post dismisses Canadian history as
                forgettable
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> He's probably still sore that the US lost the war.
> The war of 1812 was the only war ever between the US and Canada, and
> Canada won!

Really?  I thought that the War of 1812 was between the United States
and Great Britain (which still "owned" Canada at that time).  Seems
that, in 1814, the United States and Great Britain signed a peace treaty
in Paris which declared that the United States had won.  The
impressment of seamen, the major cause of the War of 1812, was
prohibited when it involved American ships, and the boundary
between the United States and Canada was fixed.  We did not
"conquer" Canada, but the British did not reclaim their lost colonies,
either.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"