On 12 Sep 2000, at 22:16, Nancy O McCaffrey wrote:

> To all Listserv Members,
>
> Can anyone tell me if there are any facilities in the world that have
> been developed specifically for the care of people with Parkinson's
> Disease or PD+ diseases?
> I would like to know if there are nursing homes, extended care facilities
> or assisted living facilities of any kind.
> If there are any in existence anywhere, I would like to know how they
> were planned, if they followed any specific model in the floor plan or if
> they had any specific care plan?
> If there is such a facility in existence, I would be pleased if someone
> could send me any and all information available on how it came about, how
> it was planned and if it has been a successful venture.
>
> Thank you in advance for any information I may receive.
>
> Nancy McCaffrey CG for Ed 71/dx 63

Hi Nancy,
I know of one purpose built facility and while it was not built
specifically for Parkinsonians, it was built for the Movement
Disabled and caters to persons with Parkinsons, MS, Huntingtons,
etc.  These are people who require a very specific assistive
environment  It is called William Rudd House.

WILLIAM RUDD HOUSE
Located adjacent to Queen's Park Care Centre, William Rudd House
provides independent residential housing for 12 young adults with
disabilities. The concept of "shared residential overnance" assists
in creating a home like environment to the residents who are
mentally competent to participate in directing their own care but
whose physical disabilities require them to seek assistance from
the staff to accomplish the basic activities of daily living.
Clients are supported through the assistance of 2 RN's who share
the role of House Team Leader, a Cook and House Attendants. In the
absence of the RN, LPN's assist with the supervision of the House
(weekends, evenings and nights).
http://www.sfhr.com/hr_openings/Services/PSContinuingCare.htm

William Rudd House - Program (some pictures)
http://www.sfhr.com/continuingcare/Services/CommunityPrograms/WilliamRudd.htm

Story of 4 Young Single MS residents...
http://www.mssoc.ca/bc/pubs/bulletin/summ98/artllink/stories/rudd.html

William Rudd House was designed by Nielsen Design Consultants Ltd
http://www.ei.gov.bc.ca/industryprofiles/Health&MedicalFacilities/companies/nield.htm

I looked on the wwweb and found a lot of building guidelines
for assistive housing...

Welcome to the ABLEDATA website!
Come in and explore the world of assistive technology!
http://www.abledata.com/Site_2/Default.htm

Informed Consumer's Guide to Accessible Housing
The purpose of the Informed Consumer Guide to Accessible
Housing is to examine what accessible housing is, to discuss
the types of products available to achieve accessibility,
and to offer resources to assist in this endeavor.
http://www.abledata.com/Site_2/icg_hous.htm

Resource Center on Accessible Housing and Universal Design
This page contains a listing of all of the resources relating
to accessible housing and universal design that can be found
at the ABLEDATA website.
http://www.abledata.com/Site_2/accessib.htm

Links to State Tech Act Projects (Listed by state)
http://www.abledata.com/Site_2/state_technology_assistance_proj.htm

Follow these links to disability-related resources
http://www.abledata.com/Site_2/links.htm

International Links to Assistive Technology & Disability Resources
There is an entire world of assistive technology and
disability resources on the Web, and you can start
your travels from here!
http://www.abledata.com/Site_2/internat.htm

Assistive / Adaptive Technology
Our goal is to provide a current and comprehensive directory
of Assistive / Adaptive resources for the disabled community.
http://www.kansas.net/~cbaslock/assist.html

Accessible Housing Considerations
http://www.alpha-one.org/access.htm#start

ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL COMMISSION FOR ASIA AND THE PACIFIC
Promotion of Non-Handicapping Physical Environments for
Disabled Persons: Guidelines - Contents -
http://www.unescap.org/decade/publications/z15009gl/z1500901.htm#contents

Planning and Building Design Recommendations
http://www.unescap.org/decade/publications/z15009gl/z1500903.htm

Accomodation for People with Disabilities - UK
http://www.surgerydoor.co.uk/level2/disabled_accommodation.htm

Construction Challenge Project Brief - UK
http://www.mk.dmu.ac.uk/depts/benv/cons/pb.htm

I hope there is something here of some use...

Best regards ...... murray

View the Parkinson's Awareness Links at:
http://www.geocities.com/janet313/pienet/wwweb/index.html