Gail wrote:
Joe wrote:
'If PD, like life itself, begins at birth (as I think it does), then
we're all at the "End-Stage" of both diseases."

Joe, I would be very interested to know why you think PD
begins at birth?
I think it does too...please share.

Joe,
I would like to hear more about this, too.
Thanks

Judith Richards

-

Well Judith, I've thought alot about this....
In Parkinson's at 80% loss of dopamine "symptoms show"...
So the body compensates well as the 10 loss..20..30..
40..50..60..70% loss levels silently progress.

If at 80% people are diagnosed and a conservative 10 years before
dramatic deficites may enter the picture...it just makes
sence that my Parkie sister who was Dx by me at age 51..has had
Parkinson's for a L-O-N-G time...I can vividly remember my sister being
"weak" or shall we say "motor impaired" since our teens...
[unusually so compared to our peers, we are 22 month apart].
Edna was born healthy, had the usual childhood illnesses but was
different from her 3 siblings [2 sisters and 1 brother] in one way...she
was noticebly "weak" by her late teens.

I remember vividly freshman year when we went to move her into her
college dorm, I carried her box of books and suitcases and Edna carried
her pillow and stuffed toys. She did not have the "normal"
average strength that one would expect in a healthy teenager.

I live with someone with Multiple Sclerosis and that [MS] is
also a chronic progressive degenerative neurological disease.
I see the accumulatived loss from clinically silent leisons
in Wanda until her body's threshhold of compensation is
crossed/collaspes and an obvious clinical symptom is seen...the human
body/brain has emormous capacity to automatically click in and
compensate for deficits/deficiences.

My visual image of this is I'm walking along the beach holding
a woven basket and gathering seashells and rocks and putting
them into my basket...without notice the bottom of the basket
lets loose and all my treasures fall to the ground in one sudden
thud.

And "thud" was the sound of my heart when I strolled across the parking
lot with my sister one afternoon two years ago and noticed
a gait change in her that I recognized and a gait typical of someone who
had Parkinsons.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

Hugs,
Gail