This is a "forward" item I received. I don't know whether or not this is a
hoax but I decided to err on the side of caution and forward to you.

Warning...... HEATING WATER IN MICROWAVE

The following information is important for anyone using a microwave oven to
heat water. This information should be a topic of discussion at work or at
home.

Recap of a recent real event:

"About two weeks ago, my 26 year old son decided to have a cup of instant
coffee. He took a cup of water and put it in the microwave to heat it up
(something he has done numerous times before).  I'm not sure how long he set
the timer for, but he told me he wanted to bring the water to a boil. When
the oven timer shut off, he removed  the cup from the oven.

As he looked into the cup he noticed the water was not boiling but instantly
the water in the cup "blew up" in his face. The cup remained intact until he
threw it out of his hand, but all the water had flown out into his face due
to the build-up of energy.  His whole face is blistered and he has 1st and
2nd degree burns to his face with possible scarring.  He also may lose
partial sight in his left eye.

While at the hospital, the attending doctor stated this a fairly common
occurrence and water (alone) should never be heated in a microwave oven.  If
water is heated in this manner, something should be placed in the cup to
diffuse the energy, like a wooden stir stick, tea bag, etc. It is a much
safer choice to boil the water in a kettle on the stove top.

Here is what our science teacher had to say on the matter:  "Thanks for the
microwave warning.  I have seen this happen before. It's caused by a
phenomenon known as 'super heating'. It can happen any time water is heated
and will particularly occur if the vessel the water is heated in is new.

What happens is the water heats faster than the vapor bubbles can form. If
the cup is very new, then it is unlikely to have small surface scratches
inside it provide a place for the bubbles to form.  When the bubbles cannot
form and release some of the heat has built up, the liquid does not boil,
and
the liquid continues to heat up well past its boiling point.

What usually happens then is the liquid is bumped or jarred, which is just
enough of a shock to cause the bubbles to rapidly form and expel the hot
liquid. The rapid formation of bubbles is also why a carbonated beverage
spews when opened after having been shaken."

Please pass this information on to family and friends. It could save a lot
of
pain and suffering.