janet paterson wrote:

> Jobs "linked to Parkinson's"
>
> Monday, 11 September, 2000, 23:38 GMT 00:38 UK - People who work with
> solvents such as petrol or rubber have a high risk of developing
> Parkinson's disease, according to a study.
>
> They are also more likely to show symptoms of the disease early in life and
> risk developing a more severe form of the disease than those who do not
> work with solvents.

[snipped]

timing of this news,
motivates me to say something--for the record.

yesterday i attended our local parkinson's support group.
there was a new person attending.
he looked familiar.
when he was introduced,
i realized that i had worked with him
at a GAS STATION here in morris...my home town

i was finishing up college (1974)
(36 years ago)and worked part-time
with close to full time hours.
he was older and in charge-but, a nice guy.
i wasn't there long.

the coincidence is hard to let go.

i have been exposed to other possible neuro toxins--
like epstein barr virus.

i think many things could cause parkinsons.
i think a multiple hit model may be possible.

a better understanding of what triggers (and prevents)
apoptosis is needed.

it is highly likely that i will never know
what has  caused my parkinsons...but, i wonder.

               ray strand

........on the prairie abyss............