In the laboratory, it is called 'superheating' and can happen with any
solvent.  Boiling chips are normally added to eliminate that problem in
the lab.  In the home, anything that will disturb the equilibrium like
tapping or vibrating the wall of the container or throwing in salt for
instance or a stirrer, the excess energy will be released suddenly.
Michel