At 19:42 2000/09/15 -0400, elaine goodrich wrote to me:
>Janet:
>I don't know just how to reply to your questions. Using "short headers"
>on my incoming email, the duplicate messages are identical, addressed to
>all members of the list, as usual. I receive them using my email client,
>Claris Emailer, via my service provider, copper.net, as forwarded via a
>forwarding service to which I have all my email directed:
>world.oberlin.edu....

hi elaine

this is an important listserv issue,
so i am sharing this with the list-members

have you changed your parkinsn subscription settings recently?
have you changed your e-mail software settings recently?
do you use the same computer for all of your listmail?
did you not have a similar problem when i was co-list-mom last year?

for new subscription requests,
i believe that the listserv software uses [or tries to use]
the "Reply-To:" header to confirm that the subscription request
comes from a valid e-mail address.

in the message you just sent me, there is no "Reply-To:" header, just:
>From: <[log in to unmask]>,
which show two different return addresses.

the duplicate messages that you sent me are not identical
in their long headers: one is forwarded through bigfoot.com!

e-mail forwarding services and anonymous re-mailer services
'play' with message headers and are infamous for causing
difficulties with listserver software. guess which companies
were in the internet first? and guess which companies don't
want to 'compromise'?

(you might want to take a look at L-Soft's website,
to see what they have to say about re-mailers ...
but then again, maybe you might not ...!)

if you can, i would signoff the two subscriptions which you have now
and then re-subscribe, which would 'force' the listserver to confirm
your e-mail address and should solve the current problem.

you may have to ask barb patterson to 'kill' the two existing
subscription accounts if you can't, but you should definitely
re-subscribe yourself from your own computer to 'force' the
confirmation process.

e-mail remailer services are a huge headache for list-owners;
if you can avoid them for your listmail, by all means do so;
you will be doing barb patterson a big favour!!
i get a headache just thinking about it!

janet
who says nerds have more fun?

janet paterson
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
tel: 613 256 8340 url: "http://www.geocities.com/janet313/"
email: [log in to unmask] smail: POBox 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada