My name is Jason Leder, channel manager for the Politics & Advocacy section
at www.wemedia.com  After providing extensive coverage of both the
Democratic and Republican National Conventions, WeMedia introduces its
newest initiative - Access the Vote:

WeMedia is writing to the leaders in the disability community to ask you to
help us reach out to the community in an effort to increase voter
participation in this critical election year.  Recognizing that many
national, state and local organizations of, by and for people with
disabilities have launched excellent get-out-the-vote efforts, WeMedia has
developed additional resources to advance our collective goals.  Our new
initiative is called "Access the Vote" and can be found at wemedia.com.
Through the Access the Vote initiative, WeMedia has simplified voter
registration, absentee ballot requests, contact with the candidates, and
transportation to the polls, which is accomplished through an extensive
database of contact information for multi-party state headquarters.  The
Access the Vote initiative is supported by a national TV and print
advertising campaign, including WeMedia magazine and other top disability
and congressional publications.

WeMedia and Frank Bowe, long-time disability rights advocate, urge you to
encourage the community to Access the Vote.  As you know, there is very
little time left. The deadlines to register to vote and request absentee
ballots in most states are upon us.  Therefore, we ask that you please use
the attached one-page overview to fax, e-mail and inform our community about
Access the Vote.

It is a very real possibility that people with disabilities could lose hard
won legislative victories if we do not spread the word and get-out-the-vote.
WeMedia supports the many other excellent initiatives with shared goals such
as the National Organization on Disability (N.O.D.) Vote! 2000 Campaign
(www.nod.org/vote2000/vote2000.html) and the newly formed Americans with
Disabilities for Democracy (ADD) (www.americaforall.org).  We have reached
out to and continue to invite all of these dynamic organizations and
creative initiatives and others to share resources, join forces and work
together.

As a significant political constituency with the power to help a candidate
win an election, citizens with disabilities, family members, colleagues, and
others concerned about equality for Americans with disabilities must make
their interests known to candidates.  Hopeful elected officials pay close
attention to, and long remember, voters who reach out during campaigns.

Bowe states, "It's urgent that people with disabilities become visible to
the various political campaigns.  I can tell you from personal, first-hand
experience with U.S. Senators, U.S. Congress people, and top presidential
aides that contacts made by 'real people' during election campaigns are in
the 'unforgettable' column.  They make an impact!  People remember them.
The first time I saw this in action was when Jimmy Carter heard from voter
after voter about alleged rip-offs of Social Security Income (SSI) during
the 1976 campaign.  Those comments made a lasting impression.  No sooner had
he appointed Joe Califano as his new Secretary of Health, Education, and
Welfare than he told Joe to look into SSI issues.  Joe told me this one-week
after taking office, in January 1977.  I've seen it again and again and
again."

If, and only if, our community makes its desires and needs known during this
election year, it will translate into positive change efforts in the years
to come.

Our disability constituency is too diverse to be a single-issue voting bloc.
Just by voting our consciences, we can improve the lives of all Americans
with disabilities and their families, friends, and colleagues.

For all these reasons, WeMedia has launched our nonpartisan Access the Vote
initiative and invites everyone to join us to Access the Vote.

For more information and to share resources, please contact Jason Leder,
channel manager for the Politics & Advocacy section at www.wemedia.com
Jason can be reached at (646) 769-2814, at TTY (212) 375-6235 or by e-mail
at [log in to unmask]