Hello all -

The first amendment does indeed refer to the process of combining human/animal gametes, which (as I understand it) some people find objectionable but which can be useful for researching disease processes and growing certain kinds of cells for implantation into humans with less possibility of host immune rejection.  I'm not crystal clear on that though, so it obviously needs more investigation.  The Fox Foundation has not yet taken a position on this amendment.

The other amendments do appear to simply strike the first line of the bill that refers to the short title.  However, this is a bit of legislative poker - Brownback is reserving space for substantive amdts that he probably already has drafted up, but he doesn't want to tip his hand and let everyone know what they are yet.  Until the bill actually comes to the floor, he probably won't insert the real language of the amdts.  The Fox Foundation is monitoring this situation and will be sure to alert the listserv as soon as we know anything more -

Best

Kelly Abbett (with the Fox Foundation)

  Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Marjorie and All,
I'm home from work and reading this again, it appears
Senator Brownback is not the *ogre* I feared.

Amendment S.AMDT.4140 is an entirely new piece designed to
clarify and ensure that this research does not include
cloning humans or animals or genetic mutations of both.

I can't see any problem with that. This is simply part of the
necessary process... applying checks and balances... exercising
freedom of speech... applying accountability...

Amendments S.AMDT.4141 through S.AMDT.4153 simply remove the line 4,
one word at a time.
"This Act may be cited as the `Stem Cell Research Act of 2000'."

Who cares what they call it?

Does this mean that if a vote were called and Brownbacks amendments
were included, that he would then be in favor? I think so.

Now we just have to remind ALL the representitives that there is only
a few weeks left to read it into the record, vote, etc.

Stay on the phone lines... Don't relax yet...

Remember "It ain't over 'till it's over"

Regards .... murray

Do You Yahoo!?