Hi Marjorie and All,
I am still giving Sam Brownback the benefit of doubt. His last
13 Amendments simply remove the line "This Act may be cited as the
'Stem Cell Research Act of 2000'."  I think this is just semantics
to remove any chance that this bill be confused with "The Public
Health Service Act" to which it will be attached (if enacted).
As I said last night, I don't care what they call it...

The first of his 14 Amendments will have to wait for a professional
opinion and I'm sure the pro's are reading every word very
carefully right now...

This group should still write or call their senators and make sure
they don't allow this bill to be tabled or put over to the 107th.
Congress next year.  Time is running out and we need this bill
to come to a vote.

just an old snipe hunter ....... murray

Marjorie wrote:
> Murray,
> On 31 Jan, 2000
> Sen. Specter and Sen. Harkin introduced the following bill; which was read
> twice and
> referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
>
>                                               A BILL
>
> To Amend the Public Health Service Act to provide for research with respect
> to human
> embryonic stem cells.
>
>         Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the
> United States of America in
>         Congress assembled.
>
> SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
>
>         this Act may be cited as the ' Stem Cell Research Act of 2000'
>
> and it continues.
>
> Murray, if you ever go to Kansas, don't let them take you snipe hunting.
> This is a stalling tactic by Brownback to delay this Bill.  He has no intention
> of voting for it!!!
> He's just trying to sandbag it with things which are already in place!!!
>
> just me,
> Marjorie
>

> At 07:00 PM 09/20/2000 -0700, you wrote:
> >Hi Marjorie and All,
> >I'm home from work and reading this again, it appears
> >Senator Brownback is not the *ogre* I feared.
> >
> >Amendment S.AMDT.4140 is an entirely new piece designed to
> >clarify and ensure that this research does not include
> >cloning humans or animals or genetic mutations of both.
> >
> >I can't see any problem with that.  This is simply part of the
> >necessary process... applying checks and balances... exercising
> >freedom of speech... applying accountability...
> >
> >Amendments S.AMDT.4141 through S.AMDT.4153 simply remove the line 4,
> >one word at a time.
> >"This Act may be cited as the `Stem Cell Research Act of 2000'."
> >
> >Who cares what they call it?
> >
> >Does this mean that if a vote were called and Brownbacks amendments
> >were included, that he would then be in favor?  I think so.
> >
> >Now we just have to remind ALL the representatives that there is only
> >a few weeks left to read it into the record, vote, etc.
> >
> >Stay on the phone lines... Don't relax yet...
> >
> >Remember "It ain't over 'till it's over"
> >
> >Regards .... murray

View the Parkinson's Awareness Links at:
http://www.geocities.com/janet313/pienet/wwweb/index.html